Caring for Pearls
Cultured Pearls are precious jewels and should be treated as such.
- Do not toss them carelessly into a purse or jewelry box where they can be scratched by hard metal edges or harder stones.
- Do not expose them to acid-based hair sprays, cosmetics or perfumes.
- Do not clean them with chemicals or abrasives.
- Do put on pearls after applying cosmetics, hair sprays and perfumes.
- Do use a light rinse of mild soap and water to clean your pearls if necessary, after taking them off. This will remove all traces of perfume, cosmetics or hairspray from the pearls. Do not soak.
- Do bring your pearls back to your jeweler for restringing once a year if necessary. Cosmetics and ordinary wear will weaken and stretch the silk threads on which the pearls are strung.
- Do have pearls strung with a knot between each pearl. This will prevent loss of pearls if the string should break.